One question we often get asked is what are the pros and cons of shared web hosting versus a Virtual Private Server (VPS)?
Shared Web Hosting
A small to medium sized website with few hundred visitors per day doesn’t need an entire server all to itself. For this kind of site it is much more cost effective to host it on a shared server along with other similar sized websites.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Easy to set up and maintain
- Low cost
- Scalable to suit your needs (up to a point)
- Your site will not be affected by other client’s sites
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
- Limitations on what software applications you can run
- Limited ability to configure firewall and security settings
- Restricted access to system administration features
- Scalable only up to pre-set limits
Other Considerations Regarding Shared Web Hosting
Shared hosting is an excellent option for most of our clients providing everything they need at affordable prices. The key to our success in this area is making sure that each client has the resources they need for their specific requirements, whilst ensuring that what one client does with their website will not affect other clients on the same server.
We have sophisticated systems in place to ensure a high level of stability that can cope with sudden traffic spikes or increased resource usage. Each client application runs in a isolated “virtualised environment” that allocates and limits server resources. This means that one site cannot cause other sites to run slowly and if a security breach does occur it cannot spread to affect other applications.
Virtual Private Servers
For larger websites, especially E-Commerce sites or other sites with high visitor numbers we recommend you invest in a Virtual Private Server. This is still technically a “shared” environment as it will be running on the same physical server as other VPS’s but it will be completely isolated from them and have completely guaranteed dedicated resources available.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- Administrator access to the Operating System
- Full ability to install and configure software
- Full control over firewall and security settings
- Reseller packages available
- Scalable to any level
Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
- More expensive than shared hosting
- Requires expertise to set up and manage
Note: In addition to self-managed VPS we can also offer a fully managed VPS service to help set up and manage your hosting environment. We also offer fully dedicated physical servers or even entire networks.